Monday, August 31, 2009

One month between Jobs

I can't believe the day arrived, but alas it did. Friday was my last day of employment for at least four months. Earlier in the pregnancy, as I fought off exhaustion and nausea in the afternoons sitting behind my computer I thought the day would never come. I have to admit that as "prepared" as I always think I am, this too has caught me by surprise. I actually teared up when I walked in the house on Friday evening and Tim asked me how my day went and if I was excited.

It isn't that I'm not excited or that I would even want to go back to work on Monday. It is more that this is another time of transition and with that, for me, comes a bittersweet reality. I have basically grown up professionally with the same very supportive and invested company and coworkers. The last six and a half years have had plenty of ups and downs (as Tim will testify to), but in the end the good far out weighs the hard. As I look back I am very thankful for my job and the people I have been able to work alongside and learn from.

I am also thankful that Tim is so supportive of me taking time off before the baby comes. He insists that my "job" now is to rest and relax (even though he knows I'll probably have a hard time sitting still). I'm one day in and I have to admit that I laid down for a few minutes mid morning and took an hour nap in the afternoon - lovely. I'm looking forward to this time of transition and reflection. As my mind clears from work matters, my thoughts turn to Little Whit and the proximity of his arrival. My excitement is building as the nursery comes together and I fold onsies and hang up sleepers in the closet.

Tonight my heart is full - Full of thankfulness for the things that have been and full of excitement (and nervousness) for the things that lie ahead. Maybe that is why I can't sleep and instead I am blogging:)

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Love you Jill. Just a few more weeks. Can you believe it's September? There are so many new things that you'll encounter in these coming weeks but, through it all, you'll have your awesome husband, super supportive family, many friends and God (who is forming that little one inside of you) to help you transition and give needed wisdom. You're going to be an excellent mom.

Rob, Kelly, Bennett, and Elodie said...

Hi Jill,
This is a sweet post. I just left you a note of f.b., and it was fun to come over and read an update. What an exciting time this is for you and Tim! I totally agree with him that you should rest and soak it all up...you truly only get this time once. What a wonderful time it is!
~Kelly